Frequently Asked Questions – Public Housing

How do I know if I’m eligible for housing?

Please click here for eligibility information.

How do I apply for public housing?

Click here for how to apply.

Can I apply for more than one development?

Yes, you may submit applications for any building or development that you are qualified for. Please note that the four housing developments in lower Bucks County (Bensalem Woods, Grundy Gardens, Grundy Tower, and MacIntosh Regency) are all part of one waiting list and building preference for this group cannot be accommodated.

How long is the waiting list for public housing?

The length of the wait for housing varies according to a number of factors including number of applicants on the waiting list, type of housing needed, rate of turnover for that housing, and whether or not you are Bucks County resident (some buildings require Bucks County residency).  The wait can range from several months to several years.

What happens after I have applied?

Please click here for the how to apply section that includes information about next steps.

How much will my rent be?

Please click here for information on calculating rents.

Does the senior citizen housing have nursing care?

No, nursing care is not provided.

Is food service or housekeeping provided?

No, food service and housekeeping are not provided.

Are utilities included?

The cost of utilities is included in the total rent.  However, sometimes utilities are paid separately to the utility company by the tenant. This varies, building by building. Click here for the descriptions of the various buildings.

Do the units have air conditioning?

Some buildings are equipped with sleeves to house an air conditioner, others permit window air conditioners. In either case, it is up to the tenant to supply the air conditioner that fits properly.

Can I bring my refrigerator or range?

No, you are required to use the appliances provided by the Bucks County Housing Authority.

Can I smoke?

Smoking is not allowed within 25 feet of any building in accordance with the Bucks County Housing Authority Smoke-Free Policy.

Can I bring my pet?

Pets may be permitted (one per household). However, there are a limited number of pet permits available in some buildings. There are also restrictions in size (no more than: 15 lbs for a dog; 13 lbs for a cat; 20 gallons for a fish aquarium; and 4 cubic feet for bird cage). A $300 security deposit is required for all pets. Other restrictions and obligations may apply. 

Do the buildings have cable and internet?

All properties are equipped with internet access and phone lines from a provider of your choosing. Cable television is supplied by Comcast only.  All internet, phone, and cable bills are expenses paid by the tenant.

Can I do a walk-through?

No. All of our units are occupied, and sample units for review are not available.

Do I have to put the income of my household members on my application?

If you or any of your household members receive income from any sources (wages, Social Security, Public Assistance, etc.) then you should include it. Your application must be true and complete.

Should I include information for the two other people I currently live with?

Only include the information of the two other people if they will move into the future unit with you. If you are the only person moving into the new unit, only include your information.

Can my friend complete her application over the phone? She does not have a computer.

No, that is not a possibility; however, you can assist her by helping her to use the computer and answer the questions accurately.

I am turning 62 in a few months, can I fill out the senior application today?

When applying to a senior building as a senior, you must be 62 in order to be eligible. If we receive your application a day before you turn 62, you will be ineligible.

I do not have a birth certificate, can I still apply?

We must receive a copy of each individual’s state certified birth certificate if he or she was born in the United States. Individuals who are born outside of the United States must provide copies of their alien registration (both sides) or naturalization document (if they are a citizen). We must receive the additional copies within sixty days after submitting each application.

I lost my Social Security card, can I send in a copy of my Medicare card?

No, there are not any replacements for a Social Security card. We can still accept an application without a copy of a social security card, but one must be supplied within 60 days after submitting your application.

How do I know you received my application?

Immediately after submission, a submission receipt will appear.

© Bucks County Housing Authority, All Rights Reserved. Website Design Provided by NuCitrus . Back to top